P.O. Box 1678, Brooksville, FL 34605
or by email to
hernandoaudubonpresident@gmail.com

President - Bernie Bathauer
Immediate Past President - Linda Vanderveen
1st Vice President - Joe Murphy
2nd Vice President - Vera Huckaby
Secretary - Sharron Carson
Treasurer - Sue Bathauer








About Us
Established 1959
Nonprofit organization
and a Florida chapter
of the
National Audubon Society
Serving members in Hernando, east Pasco
and south Sumter counties.

Hernando Audubon
Society

How to contact us:


2016-2017 Officers:

Our Mission
is to promote an awareness and appreciation of nature, to preserve and protect natural ecosystems, and to encourage responsible environmental stewardship.

Outreach and Education
have always been an important part of our activities in the community. Our programs and field trips are open to everyone and we do not charge a fee. For many years we have provided the award-winning Audubon Adventures series to participating classrooms in our public schools, giving students the opportunity to expand their understanding of conservation issues.  We also fund a scholarship and many graduating senior high school students have been awarded the Steve Fickett-Hernando Audubon Environmental Scholarship to help them defray some of the cost of college. Most of the recipients have gone on to hold leadership jobs in conservation and related fields.

Our History
Hernando Audubon was established in February 1959 as a chapter of the Florida Audubon Society.  At that time, Hernando County had fewer than 12,000 year-round residents. Wellman Tucker, a forward-thinking conservationist, was the first president and Lisa Von Borowsky, who later established Audubon of Florida's Ahhochee Hill Sanctuary, became treasurer. Steve Fickett, a biologist with the Florida Game and Freshwater Fish Commission (now the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission) was the society's first field trip chair. The scholarship offered annually by Hernando Audubon is named in his honor.

In 1971, Hernando Audubon was incorporated as a nonprofit organization, clearing the way for the society to accept major gifts. In 1974, Lisa Von Borowsky donated 20 acres of land to the chapter for sale to raise money for a nature center on land recently acquired by the Fish and Game Commission. Hernando Audubon eventually contributed approximately one-third of the funds needed to build what is now the Chinsegut Conservation Center, completed in 1986.
 


 
© 2014-2016 Hernando Audubon Society, Inc. All rights reserved.
Web design and maintenance by Horizons Marketing Communications.